On 03/29/2012 12:00 AM, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
That said, the code itself is hosted externally on SF.net, so we have
the _option_ of using GitHub for that part. I'd first look at the big
picture of how we want to enhance our development processes and then
move on to the tools.

Although I'm not an OpenVPN developer I've got a real world experience with moving a project to github. For years I've had my little s3cmd project (http://s3tools.org/s3cmd) hosted in SVN on SF.net and really struggled to attract contributors. Once I moved to GIT and github.com people pretty much immediately begun forking the code, developing improvements and sending back merge requests:
https://github.com/s3tools/s3cmd/network
Obviously I don't merge everything they send me but the contributor base truly exploded and very many improvements now come from these random developers.

I still keep a copy of the repository in SF.net's GIT but almost never receive any emailed patches or any feedback at all on that front. All my contributors use github.

Just my 2 cents :)

Michal