Hi Gert,

Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

OpenVPN does not currently report the version of the SSL library it is
using - which I'm not sure whether it's by design or just because nobody
ever added it.  Anyway, right now I think we need it, to help future
cases.

There are a few questions that go along with that, which I want to discuss
here :-)

- shall we report compile-time versions as well, or only run-time version?

  Like:

        OpenSSL compile version='OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014'
                library version='OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014'

  (this is on one of my test systems where I discovered an old OpenSSL
  installation, and upgraded *after* I built the OpenVPN binary)

  While I always like seeing numbers, I think the compile-time version is
  not actually that useful - if the ABI is not compatible, it will break,
  and if it is, the library version is what is relevant.

+1 for this; I'd go for runtime versions only , although it might be an interesting debug flag to get the compile time version as well - it might aid in debugging cases where the ABI is supposed to be compatible, but isn't .
- how do I get the library version for PolarSSL?

void version_get_string_full( char *string )

- shall we report the library version to the server, e.g. in the form of

   IV_SSL=OpenSSL 1.0.1f
   IV_SSL=PolarSSL 1.2.8

  as a sysadmin on the server side, I'd welcome this ("show me what my
  users are running").  From a security geek side, I'm not sure whether
  there is potential for abuse, so "please give me your input"

- if we report it, do we want to report it always (as IV_VER) or only
  if --push-peer-info is set?

we're reporting the openvpn version info anyway, so adding the SSL lib version would not change much; if it is only returned when --push-peer-info is set then there shouldn't be any privacy/security concerns, esp if the info is given *AFTER* the initial connection is made (i.e. after the first certificate handshake).

while we're at it : if we're printing out (not reporting) the version number of the SSL lib, why not also print out the version numbers of the other libs
- zlib
- pkcs11-helper
- snappy?

this is what 'curl' does and it has saved me debugging time in some strange cases.

JM2CW,

JJK