On 23-Apr-14 16:06, Steffan Karger wrote:
I generated a matching pair of traces of the failure (client and server)
& posted a summary.

Let me know if you would like the full traces.
Sent off-list.

I've been trying to reproduce the error. I grabbed my spare pi from the
desk drawer and built 2.3.3 from sources like you describe in #385. I
fired up a Windows 8.1 VM, and installed OpenVPN 2.3.3-I002 (x64). This
setup however happily connects with TLSv1.2. It's hard to get a hold on
this one...
My windows client is XP, 32-bit.  It's a physical machine (old notebook).

Although the problem first surfaced on 2.3.3, I'm now running off git-master (of a few days back). How I did that is in #385 too.

For those on the list:

With a hint from Steffan,

I have established that the client certificate is not being sent. I believe this is a client issue.

It appears that including the cert/key in the conf file, rather than from the crypto API makes 1.2 work.

We suspect there's some issue due to 1.2's larger hashes/message size. Not clear whether the cryptoapi interface is the cause or a victim.

As I can't build the windows client (it's really annoying that it requires commercial tools), further debug will need help from folks who can.

As always, let me know if I can do anything more to help.