Hi,

In 4 years I have not seen a single complaint on the forum
nor can remember a single complaint on the mailing list
referring to downloading the wrong bitness installer.
Or that the download page is misleading in this way.

This is actually rather surprising. That said, I can't recall any incidents, either. Perhaps this is an exception to the rule "people don't read what is written on a webpage" :).

On top of that, as 32b it phased out by retail, it is likely
that anybody who still requires 32b will have the intelligence
to follow a separate link to 32b installers.

I don't think there are many (any?) 32-bit Windows operating systems being bundled with new computers. The reason why Microsoft backpedaled on dropping 32-bit support in Windows 10 seemed to be their free upgrade program: they wanted the 32-bit operating systems to be upgradeable too.

I suggest that for OpenVPN 2.4* releases we emphasize the 64-bit installer links. For example:

Source tarball (gzip)  openvpn-2.4.0.tar.gz                   GPG sig
Source tarball (xz)    openvpn-2.4.0.tar.xz                   GPG sig
Source zip             openvpn-2.4.0.zip                      GPG sig
Installer (64-bit)     openvpn-install-2.4.0-I601-x64_64.exe  GPG sig

A 32-bit installer is available (<- link). You should only use it on 32-bit systems.

... followed by the rest of the release notes/comments...

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock