Am 02.07.16 um 18:56 schrieb Selva Nair:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Arne Schwabe <a...@rfc2549.org
> <mailto:a...@rfc2549.org>> wrote:
>
>     > And why sighup? Shouldn't just limiting sec be enought. SIGHUP has many
>     > side effects. I don't think we should trigger these for connection time.
>     >
>     >
>     > With default setting this results in a SIGHUP after some hours and also
>     > the last intervals with 5120s are too big for default settings. I would
>     > aim for something lower like five or ten minutes.
>
>     I think a bit about that and I think a good way to specify exponential
>     back is something like
>
>     connect-retry 5 1800, which would mean "scale back up to 1800s" and
>     maybe default that option to connect-retry 5 300. That also allows
>     specifying larger connect-retry values without backoff. E.g.
>     connect-retry 60 60
>

> Good idea.
>
> Agreed, triggering SIGHUP is not ideal. The only reason for it was to
> reset the counters so that the backoff time doesn't get stuck at the
> highest value for ever. If we reduce the max backoff interval that's
> less of a concern.
>
> One motivation for this patch is to avoid logs filling up. For a client
> stuck in a restart loop with verb=3 and 5 minutes max pause, the logs
> grow by about 1 M per  day --  may be not too bad.
>
> Selva

Do you want to propose a new patch or should I do it. I would propose
still a exponential backoff but starting a 2s. so we get 2s 4s 8s ... or
as default conect-retry 2 256. It would then just stay at the 256s
interval until a sucessful connection is established. That simplifies
the logic and gives predictable (from a user perspective) results.

Iirc the logic of connect-retry was changed by me in master so changing
the logic again should not be a problem.