Hi,

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 05:40:55PM +0100, Steffan Karger wrote:
> Our internal options digest uses MD5 hashes to store the state, instead of
> storing the full options string.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it
> would still be better to use SHA256 because:
>  * That makes it easier to make OpenVPN "FIPS-compliant" (forbids MD5)
>  * We don't have to explain anymore that MD5 is fine too
>
> The slightly less bytes for the digest (16 instead of 32) and operations
> per connection setup are not worth sticking to MD5.

I can't find very clear information on "which versions of OpenSSL do
support sha256", but since we have a trac ticket about our windows
builds having issues with sha256 certificates we might take this
opportunity to revisit minimum OpenSSL versions supported in master
from now on...

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de