On Tue, 2017-07-25 at 23:56 +0200, Emmanuel Deloget wrote:
> A single patch would not a a problem for distro maintainers, but
> subsequent/future changes in the forked repository might introduce
> other, less compatible changes in the library, leading to two versions
> of the same library, with maybe the same ABI and the same name

Don't Do That Then. :)

It's one thing to have a simple patch which makes it accept the RFC
compliant identifiers that the upstream maintainer is being weirdly
recalcitrant about, without changing the API/ABI at all.

To add other things to a "fork"... or really even to consider it a
fork... would be silly.

> And you also have to take into account weird people like me who also
> add their own changes into various libraries or binaries to suit their
> needs (the whole "hey, it's free software, I can change it" thing).
> Pointing them to a fork is not going to work well IMHO.

People who build from source can already merge the fix into their
pkcs11-helper or not as they see fit; this conversation was about the
*binaries* being provided. AFAIK the only binary being provided for
pkcs11-helper is on Windows; there are Ubuntu binaries but if they have
PKCS#11 support they'll be using the system's version of pkcs11-helper.
(Which probably also lacks the patch; I have rarely seen any sign of
anyone in Debian/Ubuntu caring about doing the right thing w.r.t. any
crypto-related stuff, unfortunately.)

>  It would be better if the maintainer finally decide to either
> implement the required change or merge your patch to the library.

Well yes, that's true. But it's more likely that I'll finally get round
to porting OpenVPN to something other than pkcs11-helper before that
happens, unfortunately.