Hi,

We are starting Christmas a few days early with a bigger present.

We are now releasing a brand new OpenVPN 3 based client for Linux.  This might
build on other platforms which can provide the needed dependencies, but
currently Linux is the main target.

This is a very different client from what you are used to with OpenVPN 2.x.
It aims to target several of the issues found in modern Linux distributions
and have in particular a different approach to privilege separation between
the various steps a VPN tunnel setup depends on.

This new client consists of three backend services, a logger and front-ends.
The communication between them are entirely based on D-Bus, so this is a hard
dependency now.  We might look into making it possible to swap out D-Bus with
other types of IPC alternatives (zeroMQ might interesting) - but D-Bus has the
advantage of providing a good way to automatically start services as needed as
well as authorization controls.

More details can be found in the README file in the git repos, and I have even
more documentation describing the implementation in far more details in the
pipe.  I plan to release that documentation once I've had a chance to review
it once again.

This project is quite a bit from being production ready, but is functional.
I've used this new client both against OpenVPN Access Server (with and without
dynamic challenge activated) as well as Private Tunnel.  There will be sharp
edges many places and bugs to be discovered.  But I hope more users and
developers are interested enough to try this out and help out wherever possible.

Feel free to grab me on IRC (#openvpn-devel @ FreeNode, nick: dazo) or send an
e-mail to me or this mailing list - and we'll figure out how to improve things.

So to the sources .... (I bet quite some of you scrolled down here first ....)

<https://gitlab.com/openvpn/openvpn3-linux/>
<https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn3-linux/>

In regards to patch contribution ... Patches need to go this mailing list.
Pull requests can only be used during the discussion phase and the final
patches *MUST* go to this mailing list.

Enjoy!  And Merry Christmas!

--
kind regards,