This is almost certain to be the same problem as reported here:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/963

On 24/05/18 13:46, tincanteksup wrote:
I have come across the use of --ec-curve on the Forum a couple of times
but, as it is undocumented and does not appear to work, I did not pay
that much attention ..

Now, it turns out that --ec-curve is supported by current release v246,
so I decided to look more closely at the problem.

The short version of this thread is that, from what I can test, only
openssl-1.0.2o can actually connect to a server using any other curve than secp384r1.

In this example only the openssl version is changed, only one client
cert is used for both tests.

server openvpn-2.4.6 openssl-1.1.0h uses --ec-curve brainpoolP384r1

client openvpn-2.4.6 openssl-1.1.0h cannot connect
"SSL routines:tls_post_process_client_hello:no shared cipher"

client openvpn-2.4.6 openssl-1.0.2o *can* connect
"Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-
GCM-SHA384, 384 bit EC, curve: brainpoolP384r1"

The key detail, which drew my attention, is that a v246 server using ossl11x can send the TLS cipher information but the same version of
ovpn/ossl cannot receive (or setup) that cipher.  Where as a client
using ovpn246/ossl192o can do this ..

This should obviously read: ovpn246/ossl*102o*

As --ec-curve remains undocumented I presume that is because its
implementation is not yet completed ? So I decided to send this email
for confirmation or, if this problem is not known, to inform you of it.

Thanks
tct