On 01/10/18 11:49, Илья Шипицин wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was absent for few days :) Glad to see you again.
> I want to discuss whether we can choose github releases as primary source
> here:
>
> https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn-build/blob/master/generic/build.vars#L15

No.  We do not want to change the trust centre of downloads to GitHub from our
own infrastructure.  And we don't know what GitHub might do to our uploads in
the future even (we don't even host downloads on sf.net any more).  GitHub
tried a while ago to hide quite well the "upload file" feature, as they wanted
users to use auto-generated tarballs straight from the git tree; which does
not work well with autotools based projects (it complicates the receiving end).

We see no compelling reason why or how this would improve anything at all.
Plus the current approach works quite well with the release processes already
in use.  Remember that these release processes also includes a bit more than
just "create and upload a tarball".  Plus the fact that it may be conceived as
a more trustworthy source to have these downloads hosted on a openvpn.net
domain.  And having the same file served both via GitHub and an openvpn.net
domain is just duplication and a seed of confusion; especially if these files
then begins to differ for various reasons.

So, no, we will not change this.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth