Hi Samuli,

On 13/03/19 13:00, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
Hi,

Here's the summary of the IRC meeting.

Talked about release OpenVPN 2.x Windows installers with OpenSSL 1.1.1.
Agreed that this makes sense as people (on forums for example) already
take 2.4.x and replace the OpenSSL libraries forcibly. Mattock tested
openvpn-build with OpenSSL 1.1.1b and there were no issues - a NSI
installer was produced. The next Windows installer release will thus
have latest OpenSSL 1.1.1 version. If serious issues are found we can
always have separate installer releases for OpenSSL 1.1.0 and 1.1.1
versions.

as always, thanks for the summary and chatlog; I really wanted to attend this morning but got stuck in a work meeting. There was something related to OpenSSL 1.1.1 support that I wanted to bring up:

OpenSSL 1.1.1 does TLS v1.3; does OpenVPN support TLS v1.3 (for the control channel) already?  If so, then it might be a good chance to change the internal key derivation stuff in OpenVPN:

TLS < 1.2   --> use the sha1+md5 routines (which is basically what TLS itself does for TSL < 1.1 TLS >= 1.3 --> use the "export_keying_material" routines in OpenSSL, which will create (sha2) keys for you, based on the connection parameters.

That way, we can slowly migrate users away from the sha1+md5 stuff , which will help with fips compliance as well.

Thought, anyone?

JJK

PS it would also be useful to add something to the handshake protocol to allow the server to tell a *client* which version it is running; I am not aware of any way to do , currently. Push-peer-info is client-to-server only.