That --allow-nonadmin functionality was included into commit 3c7f2f553 from
yeah 2005. Here is code from tap-win32/tapdrv.c from the same commit:

+#if ENABLE_NONADMIN
+       /* Read AllowNonAdmin setting from registry */
+       {
+         NDIS_STRING key = NDIS_STRING_CONST("AllowNonAdmin");
+         NdisReadConfiguration (&status, &parm, configHandle,
+                                &key, NdisParameterInteger);
+         if (status == NDIS_STATUS_SUCCESS)
+           {
+             if (parm->ParameterType == NdisParameterInteger)
+               {
+                 if (parm->ParameterData.IntegerData)
+                   {
+                       enable_non_admin = TRUE;
+                   }
+               }
+       }
+#endif

As you see, the current version posted by Selva is missing

  if (parm->ParameterData.IntegerData)

part.

So it seems for me that this feature has been degraded somewhere between
2005 and 2019.

--
-Lev