On 01/10/2020 17:03, Simon Matter wrote:
> I really can't understand why this small patch was refused for years and I
> still feel nobody ever really looked at it.

Perhaps this also an indication of the corner case this patch is covering?

This patch started 7 years ago.  There has been 2 other users being supportive
in the Trac ticket, where at least one of them do have another functional
alternative (--management with --management-hold).

From what I recall from the last review years ago, the behavior was also not
well defined in restart scenarios (--up-restart) - where the script might be
run with different privileges, the --chroot might also change things.  Which
makes this patch very fragile for users.

All of these issues are avoided with the --management and --management-hold.

And if you still require more flexibility when starting client configurations,
you should rather consider OpenVPN 3 Linux - which can be much more fine
grained controlled via an API.  OpenVPN 3 Linux can also be used by
unprivileged users out-of-the-box, resulting in better security for what is
being executed and when it is being executed.

There are several examples in Python, but any language with D-Bus support will
work:
<https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn3-linux/tree/master/src/tests/python>
<https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn3-linux/tree/master/src/python>

--