Am 06.12.20 um 17:09 schrieb Antonio Quartulli:
> Hi all,
>
> Some people have expressed interest in ovpn-dco supporting AES-CBC.
>
> However, since ovpn-dco is currently using the AEAD kernel crypto API
> only, introducing support for CBC mode would require quite some
> refactoring and we do not really want to do that (the community believes
> that as of now AEAD ciphers should always be preferred moving forward).
>
> In a previous discussion on this mailing list, it was highlighted that
> AES-CCM is nothing else than AES-CBC in disguise as AEAD cipher.
>
> (for the curious: it is AES "Counter with CBC-MAC", known as CCM and
> described in RFC3610).
>
> For this reason I decided to give AES-CCM a try and I implemented in it
> the "aes-ccm" branch of the ovpn-dco repo.
>
> I am not sure if we're going to merge it to master yet, but for now it
> would be interesting to gather feedback from those interested in this
> cipher.
>
> Please note that OpenVPN3 does not yet support this cipher, therefore
> the only way to test AES-CCM in ovpn-dco is to use the ovpn-cli tool
> provided in the tests/ folder.
>

> To do so, just specify "aes-ccm" as algorithm when setting a new key.

And here is a variant for OpenVPN 2.x that works with both mbed TLS and
OpenSSL:

https://github.com/schwabe/openvpn/tree/schwabe/aes-ccm

While it is not as fast as the ovpn-dco variant, it might be easier to
use than the doc variant as you only need to add data-ciphers
AES-128-CCM on both sides to test.

Arne