On 18/03/2021 21:52, David Sommerseth wrote:
It would be great to figure out if pkg-config is available on those build hosts failing without this change.  If it is present, it needs to be checked which version it is.

If this is due to an outdated pkg-config, I'm reluctant to give this patch an ACK.  Using properly up-to-date dependency stack should be a reasonable precondition to build OpenVPN.  If it is due to unavailable pkg-config, it's a different story.

So I managed to test this more properly on RHEL-7 and CentOS-7. This major release is forked off from a mixture of Fedora 19 and 20. And pkgconfig got upgraded from 0.27 in F19 to 0.28 in F20; but this was not pulled into RHEL-7 (which CentOS-7 builds on).

This is also the latest pkgconfig version available on RHEL-7, which is the oldest enterprise Linux distro we support. So my concern about not up-to-date dependency stack is no longer valid. We need this change.

If Gert is fine with updating the commit message at commit time, I'm ready to give it my ACK now.

I propose this commit message:
build: Add support for pkg-config < 0.28

RHEL-7 ships pkgconfig-0.27-1 which is lacking the PKG_CHECK_VAR() m4 macro. This might be the situation on other OS distributions as well. Ship our own macro providing this support when not found on the build host.

Acked-By: David Sommerseth <dav...@openvpn.net>

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth