Hi,

On 26/07/2020 15:31, Arne Schwabe wrote:
> Am 26.07.20 um 02:01 schrieb Arne Schwabe:
>> Am 17.07.20 um 19:10 schrieb David Sommerseth:
>>> The --no-replay feature is considered to be a security weakness, which
>>> was also highlighed during the OpenVPN 2.4 security audit [0].  This
>>> option was added to the DeprecatedOptions[1] list and has been reported
>>> as deprecated since OpenVPN 2.4.
>>
>> As a side note, removing this feature weakens the ability to use OpenVPN
>> is a pure tunnel without crypto (--auth none, --cipher none and
>> no-replay) since this removes the ability to disable replay proctection
>> when no authentication is enabled. (replay protection without auth is
>> silly as a attacker can just fake the replay id too.)
>>
>> Acked-By: Arne Schwabe
>
> I given that a bit of a thought. But we need to decide if we to support
> unencrypted transport only session or not in future. If we do not want
> to support them, then applying this patch is fine, otherwise we should
> restrict disabling no-replay to --auth none and also --auth none to
> --cipher none basically:
>
> --cipher != none => auth none and no-replay forbidden
>
> --cipher == none => allows auth none and also no-replay
>
> --cipher none and auth none, warn if no-replay is used that it does not
> prevent replay attacks. But do not fail since we would break a lot of
> setups.

I work for the ministry of oversimplification and I think that removing
user knobs is simply a good thing.

Following the logic provided by Arne, how about removing the --no-reply
knob and making this mechanism automatic?

* if cipher != none -> replay prevention is always enabled;
* if cipher == none && auth == none -> replay prevention is disabled.

[allowing or disabling auth=none should be tackled saparately imho]

Regards,

--
Antonio Quartulli