On 08/04/21 16:55, Arne Schwabe wrote:
Am 08.04.21 um 16:36 schrieb Jan Just Keijser:
Hi,

On 08/04/21 16:02, Arne Schwabe wrote:
NCP has proven to be stable and apart from the one VPN Provider doing
hacky things with homebrewed NCP we have not had any reports about
ncp-disable being required. Remove ncp-disable to simplify code paths.

Note: This patch breaks client without --pull. The follow up patch
for P2P NCP will restore that. But to avoid all the NCP/non-NCP special
cases to be implemented in P2P. P2P will directly switch from always
non-NCP to always NCP.
I would Feature-NAK this :   disabling NCP is a valuable option. IMHO.
I disagree here. NCP in 2.5 is mature mature enough that disabling NCP
is not necessary any more. If you have any evidence otherwise, please
explain a bit more since I personally don't see the value in it.

I don't have any evidence with 2.5 right now but this is just a matter of use/principle to me: I can very well see that I would like to have a setup *without* NCP as I simply do not need it (e.g. my cipher is hardwired to aes-256-gcm)  and in that case I don't *want* NCP to ensure my setup is 100% predictable.

Disabling this option means you give me less control over the setup and I don't like that, thus Feature-NAK.
Also, is the MTU calculation part on the server side now done
correctly?    I remember that with 2.4 the server would subtract (or
add, depending on point of iew) far too many bytes to handle NCP

Not fully yet but the case where NCP cipher == original cipher has a
workaround.

I'd say that removing the ability to disable NCP  can happen *only* when all negative side-effects of enabling it have been mitigated fully.  On a slow link the NCP overhead can be quite disastrous and not just during connection setup, but during the *whole* session. To me, yet another reason for Feature-NAK

JJK