On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 7:37 PM David Sommerseth <
open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net> wrote:

> I quickly checked resolveconf on Ubuntu {18,20,21}.04 and Debian 9-11.
> Neither of them supports the '-p' argument.
>
> I've checked Fedora 34, RHEL-{7,8} too, where I could not find any
> obvious alternative to the old version of resolvconf tool.  On RHEL-8
> and Fedora, systemd-resolved is available and provides a different
> resolveconf which targets to replace this old utility.  This replacement
> neither support '-p'.
>
> This option got added in commit 3adf2f558e157ef508 back in 2010, but
> there's too little information why it was needed back then.  But given
> that neither relevant Linux distributions supports this option today,
> it's reasonable to remove it now.

Openresolv uses it, and Arch offers that package.
https://github.com/NetworkConfiguration/openresolv/blob/master/resolvconf.in#L108
has a -p

That's my best guess where this came from.  And then, since this is off
buried in 'contrib', "nobody" noticed it for years.

(I don't disagree with removing it, I just like forensics).