> ... so why is "did_ifconfig_setup" true, if ifconfig wasn't done?
>
> Or, phrased differently, what is did_ifconfig_setup used for, across the
> code, and can we just "not set it to true" if ifconfig-noexec is in
> effect?  Or does it have nasty side effects?

tt->did_ifconfig_setup is set in init_tun, which sets up the tuntap struct but
doesn't do ifconfig yet. This is executed independently of --ifconfig-noexec.
There are probably some things to refactor there. Maybe we could remove
did_ifconfig_setup and instead use did_ifconfig on all platforms.

But to be honest, I'm scared of touching it.

Also, could we backport it to 2.5? If so, isn't it better to keep the fix small?