Hi,

On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 10:09:45PM +0200, Mykhailo Mishchenko wrote:
> On 09.02.23 21:38, Gert Doering wrote:
> > (There is an old Trac ticket about it, but nobody went out and fixed
> > the code yet - which is tricky, as you can't just change the format
> > of ifconfig-pool-persist without breaking existing setups)
>
> I would escape the comma with backslash, for example. It would only
> break those setups, which are already broken because they have a comma
> in a CN of a client certificate. But maybe there are reasons why this is
> also problematic, and I just don't know about them.

status files, management console output & associated consumers, lots of
things inside OpenVPN are separated by commas.

Yes, this can all be fixed, but for all the bits that are "for other
consumers" (status files, management) those entities would know how
to deal with escaped commas.

ifconfig-pool-persist might actually be a fairly easy one to solve,
by going backwards from the end of the line - so not taking "field 2 + 3"
but "last, and second-last", so it doesn't matter if there are commas
in the first section.  OTOH we'd need to deal with old-style files
that have no IPv6...

Mmmh.

"Someone needs to code it, and test all variants"