Hi Johan

on 21.01.2014 15:20, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
> hello,
>
> no, I did not set this up. I cannot contact the person who did.
>
> Indeed, it would be better to start over from scratch.
> Still, I would like to understand what went wrong.
>
> It do see in the Openvpn docs the advise to copy easy-rsa away from
> /usr/local/openvpn so not to be
> overwritten by updates.
> So maybe that's what happened.

Consider the scripts that come with OpenVPN to be nothing but a crude
template to give you an idea of what is needed for OpenVPN and other
certificate based services.

To find out what went wrong, you need to have some understanding of
certificates and the openssl application and scripts. There are other
tools that will allow you to create and maintain a CA depending on your
requirements, one thing holds true however: The CA must not be on your
production system nor on any other vulnerable system, best is a
completely offline systems behind thick concrete walls.

That said, I am using a portable version of XCA on a memory stick.

cheers

Erich