Hi,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 09:50:35AM +0200, Stephan Alz wrote:
> With the widespread of the cheap vps cloud services lately I wonder what
> protection does openvpn offers ... well against the server administrators.

If the server admin has root, he can sniff on the tun interface, or
grab keys from openvpn memory - so "not much protection".

[..]
> But to get to the point, that if I setup openvpn on my droplet and let's say
> an evil admin sniffing my traffic for 3 months with tcpdump then decides to
> decrypt that traffic what tools does he have (if any to do this). At this
> point he has a pcap file and the openvpn server certificates and keys.

Now that is easy - OpenVPN does PFS, so the stored keys won't help decrypt
sniffed session traffic.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de