On 29/11/15 22:56, Steffan Karger wrote:
> OpenVPN makes a distinction between control traffic (key/config
> exchange, etc) and data traffic (actual vpn network packets).  For
> control packets, OpenVPN has a reliability layer that ACKs packets,
> retransmits, etc.  For data packets, OpenVPN does not do any of that.
> (But, when you're using TCP mode, TCP does that, ofc.)
...Then why does it work so well over UDP?

I almost exclusively use openvpn over UDP and I would have thought the
lack of error checking on the data channel would hurt, so why doesn't it?

eg, if there's no UDP error checking built into openvpn, then shouldn't
DNS lookups (ie udp inside a udp openvpn tunnel) fail a lot? Or is the
Internet generally so reliable that it doesn't matter? (eg 1% packet
loss on Internet leads to 1% packet loss inside openvpn tunnel?)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171