On 27/01/17 08:27, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:02:21AM +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
>>>
>>> What happens if you have --auth-nocache, the server sends a token, and
>>> the token expires?  Will the client get something back that it can
>>> understand as "oh, I need to ask for a new password!"?
>>>
>>> (Sorry, I know I *should* have tested this long ago... :-) )
>>
>> The when --auth-nocache is in use, the contents of password field in
>> struct user_pass is wiped and later ignored, regardless if the server
>> sent an --auth-token or not.
>
> Uh.  My question did not make sense.  Trying again:
>
> What happens if you do NOT have --auth-nocache, the server sends a token,
> and the token expires?  Will the client get something back that it can
> understand as "oh, I need to ask for a new password!"?

Ahh!  Currently, the client will disconnect due to authentication failure.

This is not optimal, and definitely not how I like it!  But to fix that,
a massive code refactoring is needed so that the AUTH_FAILED message
needed to be sent with the proper "sub-code" which can be used on the
client to ask for credentials again.  I have already sent some patches
to the devel ML, but those need to be improved a lot before getting
ready for inclusion.

On the other hand, this is not a very new issue actually.  If external
auth-plugins rejects an authentication, it is the same situation.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc