Hi,

On 31 July 2017 at 11:00, Yevgeny Kosarzhevsky <phao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 July 2017 at 15:49, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:
>>
>> Using crypto with --no-iv is only marginally better than using "--cipher
>> none"
>> - so, if you want no encryption, make it explicit with "cipher none",
>> instead of pretending to have strong crypto which it isn't.
>>
>> Why are you using --no-iv?
>
> I use it to reduce packet size on tunnels with --secret option together with
> --auth none.
> I am aware of the fact that this less secure option however I believe it's
> still provides encryption and is safe enough unless the key is revealed to
> 3rd party.
> Please correct me if I am mistaken.

You are mistaken.  CBC requires an unpredictable IV, so --no-iv breaks
the CBC security.  Using --auth none is plainly insecure against any
man-in-the-middle attacker.  Don't use either of those if you want a
secure connection.

If you want to understand why, I can recommend
https://www.coursera.org/learn/crypto.

-Steffan