Il 07/06/19 20:19, Selva Nair ha scritto:
> Hi JJK,
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Jan Just Keijser <janj...@nikhef.nl> wrote:
>>
>> hi all,
>>
>> in the eduVPN project we've run into a strange issue:
>> HP Envy laptops running Windows 10 have a "handy" feature to
>> automatically switch from wifi to a 'wired' adapter if one is detected.
>> The use case behind this is that if you put your laptop in a docking
>> station (with LAN) it will auto-switch to it.
>> How does this relate to OpenVPN:  when an OpenVPN connection is
>> established, the HP Envy driver gimmick detects the tap-windows device
>> as a LAN adapter and switches off wifi -regardless of whether you are on
>> a LAN or not.  Thus, "plain" OpenVPN 2.4 becomes quite hard to use on
>> these laptops.
>> Now the strange part is, that both Viscosity and NordVPN - each with
>> their own tap-win adapters do NOT have this problem.
>> So my question now is:  what could be causing this and how can we
>> resolve it.
>> The patches the Viscosity folks made to the tap-win driver for their
>> setup are in github (pull request #47, IIRC) and I don't see anything
>> truly strange in that patch.
>> The only thing that seems to be different is whether a device is
>> sporting the UI flag in the "characterstics" section.
>>
>> Does anybody have a clue how to best approach this?
>
> One thing I've noticed is that in the driver inf file viscosity has set
>
> characteristics = 0x1 ; NCF_VIRTUAL
>
> It goes into the registry entries for the device node.
>
> They don't seem to have a link to download the patched source (have to
> make a request by email -- no idea whether a paid license is also
> required), so I haven't looked for any other changes in the sources.
> Possibly you could ask for the source code and do a diff.
>

> Selva

Hi,

This is tangential, but I wonder if these "characteristics" (also) have
an effect on which HLK tests are required? Rozmansi's "Introduce TAP
adapter as a virtual device" does not touch them:

https://github.com/OpenVPN/tap-windows6/pull/84/files

That PR, as-is, did not help narrow down the scope of HLK tests.

The wintun driver has this in characteristics:

  wintun.inf:Characteristics = 0x1 ; NCF_VIRTUAL

Default tap-windows6 has

  version.m4:define([PRODUCT_TAP_WIN_CHARACTERISTICS], [0x81])

Thoughts?

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager