Hi,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:25 AM Ralf Hildebrandt
<ralf.hildebra...@charite.de> wrote:

> * Jonathan K. Bullard <jkbull...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Just for the record, the best way to install configurations in
> > Tunnelblick is to drag the configuration(s) and drop them on the
> > Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar. The user can install "incomplete"
> > .ovpn files, too, as long as the cert/key/etc. files the .ovpn files
> > reference are readable by the user.
>
> Jonathan, just let me say: Tunnelblick rocks.
>
> You put so much thought into this piece of software. It's a joy
> running it. It's so much more sane than openvpnGUI on Windows (no
> offense intended).

Thanks! I try!

> The only thing which is currently giving me gripes is that "the
> configuration file you're currently using is outdated and some distant
> version of openvpn might not be able to connect" - warning.
>
> (My) users don't comprehend this. They don't grasp that it's just a
> warning .
>
> They see this warning as error "rendering their current installation
> faulty/non working" - while it's working perfectly.

Yeah, it's a problem. And I'm about to add more such warnings now that
macOS has started displaying cryptic warnings about system extensions
not working in future versions of macOS.

Inspired by your comment, I'm going to rewrite these warnings to
stress that the configuration works now. Maybe users will at least
read the first sentence of the warning. But I'm not getting my hopes
up.

For administrators with some control of their users' computers or
installations of Tunnelblick, you can set a Tunnelblick preference to
disable these warnings. Unfortunately there's a separate preference
for each of the different warnings.

> For over a year we're sending out config files which don't trigger the
> warning, but people still use the old files - and a new Tunnelblick,
> since (thank Lord!) it auto updates!

Consider having the config files update, too, using our "new, simpler"
mechanism [1]. (But note that until they update their config files to
updatable config files, they won't update : )

The new way of having config files update requires that you distribute
"Tunnelblick VPN Configurations" [2], not plain .ovpn files, so that
will be a problem if you distribute the same configuration file(s) for
users of all platforms.

Colin, please accept my apologies for hijacking your thread. Just want
to set the record straight!

Cheers,

Jon Bullard

[1] https://tunnelblick.net/cNewUpdatableConfigurations.html