Thank you, I appreciate the detailed response.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de>
To: Leroy Tennison <leroy.tenni...@verizon.net>
Cc: openvpn-users <openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wed, Apr 29, 2020 11:53 am
Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN architecture

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 04:47:56PM +0000, Leroy Tennison via Openvpn-users
wrote:
> I've seen a couple of replies to this but no direct answer to my question,
> sounds like OpenVPN works similar to https, correct?

Sort of.  It's a bit more complicated, but it boils down to "TLS runs,
authenticates by asymmetric cipher, uses DH to build key for symmetric
cipher for the control channel, uses key material derived from that to build
symmetric cipher for the data channel"

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                            g...@greenie.muc.de