On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 05:34:14 -0400, Jonathan K. Bullard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 3:43 AM Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 09:03:20AM +0200, free...@tango.lu wrote:
> > > Which makes me think OSPF is only possible with the old tap interfaces,
> > > what the OpenVPN dev team even want to remove in the future, why is
> > > there no proper support of OSPF in routed tun tunnels?
> >
> > Not sure where that rumor is coming from.  No removal of TAP device
> > support is planned.
>
> I don't know where the rumor started, but I can understand why it is
> plausible:
>
> (A) The OpenVPN developers discourage the use of TAP connections,
> saying, for example "Layer 3 is for a number of reasons the better
> choice anyways" [1];
> (B) The "OpenVPN Connect" Android and iOS apps do not support TAP
> connections [1][2]; and
> (C) Apple has deprecated loading the system extension that Tunnelblick
> uses to create a TAP device and, on the latest version of macOS, pops
> up a warning saying the extension "will be incompatible with future
> versions of macOS" [3].

Expanding further on those points, there was a discussion of this topic
here on this list back in March 2019, under the Subject "Removal of the
TAP Bridge, Strange ARP issue and looking for solutions for an
alternative Layer2 VPN", e.g.
  https://sourceforge.net/p/openvpn/mailman/message/36606924/
or
  https://www.mail-archive.com/openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04759.html
.

That disussion makes clear that in fact OpenVPN _3_ specifically does
*not* include support for TAP (at least as currently implemented).

The discussion does go on to explain that that all releases of OpenVPN
_2.x_ will continue include TAP support and that v2 "will live for a
long time to come"... but I can certainly understand "casual" users
being confused by this distinction.

The OP in that thread did not give an explicit reference to the origin
of his/her information regarding TAP support/"bridged networking",
so I'm not sure what would have helped avoid the confusion there...

... but I searched around a bit in the Community Wiki and though there
are a number of pages that mention specific OpenVPN 3 software packages,
I didn't find any general page explaining the differences-between and
future-plans-for the v2 and v3 (and "Connect") product lines, etc.  --
something like that might help clear up (a little of) this sort of
confusion.

                                                Nathan