This does kind of depend on how one defines "2FA".  If you define the
"two factors" as a certificate and a password, then just
auth-user-pass and set up the PAM plugin.

If you want MFA, where the factors are a certificate, password, *and*
OTP, then you'll need to do what you're talking about with respect to
OTP authentication.

Just me being pedantic.  :)

-Joe