Hi,

Il 17/10/21 19:01, David Sommerseth ha scritto:
On 15/10/2021 13:06, Stella Ashburne wrote:
Debian gets a major release about once every two years and the
OpenVPN package is somewhat outdated.

You seem to miss my point.  No, it is not out-of-date.  It is fully supported and receives bug and security updates by the Debian package maintainer for the lifetime of the distribution.  So far the OpenVPN maintainers over the last 10-15 years has been pretty good at keeping the OpenVPN package in a decent shape.

That the Debian repositories does not do major updates when the OpenVPN community releases one, is a Debian package policy.  So you will miss new features arriving in new major releases.  But the packages in supported Debian releases _are_ _up-to-date_ in regards to latest security and bug fixes.  And this is what makes Debian releases far more stable than many other more bleeding edge distributions.

Indeed. When I add new distro support (e.g. Debian 11) to our packages I take the upstream (Debian project) control files etc. and use them as a basis for ours. In this process I very often have to disable several Debian patches because they are the same patches that we've already released in our own minor releases.

So yes, Debian is keeping their packages updated with (a subset of our) patches.

Samuli