On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 08:12:16 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Seems like the distro upgrade orphaned openvpn but left it in place as-is.

Right -- one of the first things the Ubuntu upgrade process does is to
edit the apt sources to update the release name on the repositories it
recognizes (so they now point to the release being upgraded to) and
disable the repository entries it doesn't recognize (since it doesn't
know if those repositories are applicable after the upgrade).

This general process doesn't always orphan the packages that came from
the disabled repo... but in the case of the openvpn package on your
system the fact that Focal happens to include the same upstream OpenVPN
version that you already have installed (2.4.7) combined with the
different packaging-specific version-number naming schemes used by
build.openvpn.net and the Ubuntu packages, did lead to the package being
"stuck" at the 2.4.7-xenial0 version.

(Note that if you were to upgrade to Jammy, though, the system would
start upgrading the OpenVPN package again, because Jammy includes
OpenVPN 2.5.5 and apt would recognize any 2.5.5 package as a higher
version number than "2.4.7-xenial0".)

> If I understand it you are saying that by using the apt command to install the
> current version for focal the existing openvpn would be replaced by the one in
> the Ubuntu distro repository and the act of installing it that way would also
> put it in the group of packages that will be automatically upgraded come the
> next distribution upgrade?

Yes, exactly.  (For example, once you have 2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.4
succesfully installed, then when 2.4.7-1ubuntu2.20.04.5 eventually
becomes available apt will recognize that as an higher version number
and upgrade the package along with everything else.)

                                                        Nathan