>On Monday, January 8th, 2024 at 3:59 PM, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de>
>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 12:02:58PM +0000, Peter Davis via Openvpn-users wrote:
>
> > 1- What tool do you use to generate server and client keys?
>

> Something homegrown, based on easy-rsa
>
> > 2- Assume that the keys have expired. Do I have to generate a new key again
> > or can I renew the previous keys that I have copied in the server and
> > client directory?
>

> You can create a new certificate (.crt) for the same key (.key). Or you
> can create a new key + new certificate.
>
> The peer is interested in a valid certificate - and that is the thing with
> the expiry date. The key does not have an expiry date, so it can not
> expire.
>
> > I still don't quite understand why I shouldn't delete the Easy-RSA
> > directory after generating the keys!
>

> If you throw away the easy-rsa directory, you remove your certificate
> authority, and can never again create a client or server key+cert that will
> be trusted by the existing setup. So, "no new clients" and "no new servers".
>
> gert
> --
> "If was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you
> feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never doubted
> it myself till I met a computer with a sense of humor."
> Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
>
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany g...@greenie.muc.de

Hi,
Thanks again.
I forgot to tell you that this is an internal server. I have other questions:

1- Assuming my vars file is as follows:

export KEY_COUNTRY="US"
export KEY_PROVINCE="CA"
export KEY_CITY="NY"
export KEY_ORG="GreatCoder"
export KEY_EMAIL="ad...@greatcoder.xyz"
export KEY_OU="OpenVPN"

I generated the server and client keys and then deleted the Easy-RSA directory.
After a few months I revoke the keys and create a vars file again with the
above information. I generate server and client keys again. Does this cause a
problem?

I guess deleting the Easy-RSA directory becomes a problem when my keys are
going to be used on the Internet!

2- Isn't the expiration date of the keys 365 days by default?

3- If the Easy-RSA directory should not be deleted, then should there be an
Easy-RSA directory for each server?