On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:30:05 +0100, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 09:57:41PM +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Is there some way when that RPi has connected to my OpenVPN server to reach
>> it
>> "backwards" via the connected tunnel? I mean to establish a command line SSH
>> interface through the tunnel or similar.
>
>Unless firewall rules (or routing) on either end get in the way, you have
>a transparent IP connection through the tunnel - so SSH to the rPI should
>be just fine, no extra config needed on the OpenVPN side.
>
>(Easiest is to SSH to the "tun0" IP address, as you do not have to
>concern yourself with routing the rPI LAN address through the tunnel)

I have earlier done something similar, but not really the same...

At that time we had an RPi device that was put in the field with a mobile
network modem for connection. I had made a service on an OpenVpn server that had
client-to-client activated and no routing past the tunnel at all.
So the remote device connected and was going nowhere, but then I could hook up
with it by connecting my Windows PC to the same "dead-end" tunnel and knowing
the remote device's tunnel address I could access it via the tunnel.

But that was a really special use of OpenVPN and in this case the remote device
has to use the VPN "normally" and connect to join the server side network.
It will access resouces on the server's LAN including the Internet gateway.

So since it is doing that I figured that it could be possible to access it from
the server network via its tunnel address.

But do I then have to manipulate the OVPN server's routing table and the main
router's table as well? That is if I want to access the remote device from a
different device on the server's LAN? Like my Windows PC using PuTTY...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden