On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 00:37:26 +0000 (UTC), Leroy Tennison via Openvpn-users
<openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> After some testing I determined that this was my fault.  i wasn't connecting
> via the IP address I removed and it wasn't the default route.  It was the
> subnet-specific route.  In order to change the IP address on a local subnet
> from OpenVPN:
>

>   - Add the new ip first such as ip a a 192.168.1.20/24 dev eth0 (where the
> current ip address is 192.168.1.10)
>   - Update the routing table for the local subnet such as ip r c
> 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.20 (src was
> 192.168.1.10)
>   - Remove the "current" ip address such as ip a d 192.168.1.10/24 dev eth0
>Hope this helps someone else avoid the same issue.

Just an observation:

If you are running an OpenVPN server on a server side network address starting
with 192.168.1 you are in for a lot of problems depending on how you are using
openvpn!

If for instance you want to connect to the vpn server and use it to access the
server side local network (as I am all the time) then using such an address on
the local LAN will *prevent* the VPN use if you are doing this from an Internet
Cafe or a hotel where they have (as very many do) NOT switched *their* local IP
address from 192.169.1.x to something different.

Note that most WiFi routers are defaulting to this address so if your own LAN
also uses this addresss range then your hotel LAN, which you attached to, uses
it and your remote home LAN uses it and there will be *no transfer* through the
OpenVPN tunnel at all!

There simply is no need for routing in this situation so your device will search
on the hotel's internal LAN for your remote target and obviously fail!

Bottom line:
If your server side LAN uses 192.168.1.x as its LAN you need to change that if
you want your OpenVPN server to be used while traveling.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden