Hi Mark,

correct me if I am wrong.

as 2009-01-22 the new name for web-beans is "Java Contexts and Dependency
Injection"

JNDI is a mechanism for naming and discovery of Java Objects in a
distributed system.
it lets components (complex heavy objects) to be discovered with a mechanism
other than their Java Class name or Java Object pointer.

since lots of systems are not distributed and run on single JVM, that
distributed java objects parts makes no sense.
but:
in DI frameworks like Seam and Spring a component can be given an alias name
other than it's class name.

now if a developer wants to move from SE to EE (for example he may use SE
for unit test, and EE for deployment, or current project size may not
justify EE environment)
changing the names may become painful if they need to be changed.
if some naming mechanism compatible with EJB 3.1 JNDI names are used, it may
help this change.

putting objects in JNDI directory is not neccessary, but a a place for them
on JNDI tree, (when program is deployed in EE) may be very usefull.

Regards
Arash Rajaeeyan

--
Arash Rajaeeyan