Sure, you can recover this situation in different ways.

There is a password forgot URL but I realized there is no link from the
main login form:
https://github.com/openwisp/openwisp-users/blob/master/openwisp_users/accounts/urls.py#L28
Therefore, you can try going to:
/accounts/password/reset/
This method is easy but requires postfix to be configured correctly so
openwisp2 can send emails correctly.

Alternatively, it is possible to use the shell.
If you are not practical with the django shell, the easiest way is to
create a new superuser and then access the admin with that new account, you
can then change the password of the old account and delete the new account.

If you didn't change the default installation directory you can try with
the following (I'm recalling from memory):

cd /opt/openwisp2
source env/bin/activate  # python virtualenv
./manage.py createsuperuser

I hope this solves your problem.
I will note down to add a "password forgotten" to the login form.

Federico