Thank you for your work Xavier!

The only doubt I have about forcing a choice between SSL libraries is that
when our build system compiles and produces new versions of openwisp-config
that are then published on downloads.openwisp.org
<http://downloads.openwisp.org/openwisp-config/>, we enable all the SSL
libraries and we only compile openwisp-config, this produces all the
variants with a single compilation, which is very efficient and easy to
maintain.

Can you find a way to have both? Like a flag that when enabled allows
enabling all SSL libraries?

Regarding the name, it's called openwisp-config because in the original
vision this package is focused on handling configuration logic, to make it
clear we don't want to add a huge amount of features in there, as many
other projects instead tend to do: they bloat their packages until they
become unmaintainable.
We have additional packages (luci-openwisp and openwisp-netcheck which
hasn't been rolled out into production yet) and we'll  likely add more into
the mix. It's just a matter to refine this ecosystem properly over time
(good documentation, clean makefile, avoid duplication by sharing common
code and so on - which now surely need improvement) and then create one
single meta-package called openwisp which allows users to choose what they
want from these features we have or want to have (configuration, limited
luci, net-check, monitoring, ecc), we are just not at that stage yet.

Federico