BTW: this is usually achieved by providing a limited web interface on
OpenWRT, where users can change their wifi settings.
The trick is not to use OpenWISP to provide the wifi settings, but have the
default wifi settings in the firmware image, then let users manage these
without interference from OpenWISP.

Creating an adhoc cloud solution just to change the wifi settings sounds
overkill to me.

Have you thought about that?

Best regards
Federico