I tried with this last week without success (but remember I'm very new to
openwisp, django an python).

I couldn't do it with monkey patching the  OrgMixin class. If remove from
fields, database fails with "organization cannot be NULL" when saving.

I did not manage to modify the default value with monkey patching, but yes
modifying directly the OrgMixin class.

I will try again.