Whatever you deploy on the same VM or LAN where OpenWISP is deployed is up
to you, OpenWISP will not limit you, so yes you can deploy a DHCP server if
that's what you are asking but you cannot manage that with OpenWISP unless
the server itself  runs OpenWRT and is connected to OpenWISP.

In the future we may be able to control configurations of systems like
debian (in the past we built a prototype for raspbian) but that's out of
scope now for us and there's not enough interest and resources to work on
such a thing.

Best regards
*Federico Capoano*