Look for "_pip" here: https://github.com/openwisp/ansible-openwisp2
With those variables you can pin down the specific version you use.

    # you may replace the values of these variables with any URL
    # supported by pip (the python package installer)
    # use these to install forks, branches or development versions
    # WARNING: only do this if you know what you are doing; disruption
    # of service is very likely to occur during development
    # Custom OpenWISP 2 Python packages will be installed with "--no-deps"
    # parameter, be aware that you will have to add new dependencies if
    # necessary to "openwisp2_extra_python_packages" var
    openwisp2_controller_pip: false
    openwisp2_notifications_pip: false
    openwisp2_users_pip: false
    openwisp2_utils_pip: false