Just in case anybody was following this;

i've worked around the issue by prepending the first 257 blocks from
an official firmware-upgrade and than padding to the required size
(8192512).

It seems that the automatic process now expects u-boot and and an
ominous info-block to also be contained in the image.

that might not be the proper solution. if anyone of you has a better
idea - i'd like to hear it :-)

kind regards