Hi Guys,

I just looked the eglibc website (www.eglibc.org) and I'm asking to
myself if Openwrt can be extended in order to support different libc
implementations.

eglibc (for example) is a glibc fork made by Sodesourcery and Freescale
people.... the main target is to have a glibc-binary-compatible embedded
libc... very challenging project. Respect embedded point of view, eglibc
less mature than uClibc, of course... but Freescale & Friends are
actively working to improve the code (and support archs like m68k...).

Returning to OpenWRT.
>From my point of view, a good challenge for OpenWRT should be the
ability to manage different libc implementation in order to achieve the
max flexibility. I would like add a set of CONFIG_ vars to understand at
building time the active libc library:

(toolchain/Config.in)

choice
        prompt "LIBC implementation" if TOOLCHAINOPTS
        default USE_UCLIBC
        help
            Select the LIBC implementation between uClibc or EGLIBC.

        config USE_UCLIBC
            bool "Use UCLIBC"

        config USE_EGLIBC
            bool "Use EGLIBC"
endchoice

All uclibc stuffs should be parametrized on CONFIG_USE_ULIBC/USE_UCLIBC
config variable.

choice
        prompt "uClibc Version" if TOOLCHAINOPTS && USE_UCLIBC
        default UCLIBC_VERSION_0_9_29
        help
          Select the version of uClibc you wish to use.
          Default for kernel 2.6 is 0.9.29, for kernel 2.4 it is 0.9.28 .

endchoice

config UCLIBC_EXTRA_VERSION
        string
        prompt "Extra uClibc version" if TOOLCHAINOPTS && USE_UCLIBC

The toolchain build process should depend on USE_xxLIBC variables in
order to make the correct compiles steps.

I know that these are stupid sketched ideas... but I see OpenWRT as the
definitive building system.

Thanks for attentions and best regards,

luigi

--