Hello,

> I've been scouring the package/iptables/Makefile and
> include/netfilter.mk files, but I've not been able to make sense of it
> all.
>
> I do have CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_OWNER=m set in my kernel .config
> and lots of mention of *_owner in my make output:

Current include/netfilter.mk still uses : CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER and
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_OWNER instead of the new
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_OWNER symbol.

Instead of the two lines mentioning old symbols, there should be a line
with something like :
"$(eval $(call
nf_add,IPT_EXTRA,CONFIG_NETFILTER_MATCH_OWNER,$(P_XT)xt_owner))"
(... well, without wrapping...)

Give it a try.

> I suspect something in include/netfilter.mk is busted but not sure
> what.
I think there are several other changes like this one introduced by the
2.6.25 kernel. Another one is about tos/TOS and dscp/DSCP modules :
https://dev.openwrt.org/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/ticket/3527

But this one requires quite some work to update iptables.
(I have quickly looked at it, but iptables Makefile structure seems to
have changed between 1.4.0 and 1.4.1.1 so that applying patches is not
so easy)

Regards,

fred