On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 10:15 -0400, RHS Linux User wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    IMHO there is a VERY VERY important point being discussed here.
>
>    1. Should the kernel be VERY small with drivers and everything possible
> loaded during boot as needed.
>
>    or
>
>    2. Should the kernel "have it all"?

Actually, there are two layers of that discussion (what to include)
possible and I believe we are discussing the "other" layer, and that's
what should be in the flash image.

So in keeping with the discussion which is about the modules needed to
be able to boot (the root filesystem, not the kernel itself) on USB
storage devices, those modules have 3 places they could be:

     1. Linked into the kernel statically.
     2. Modules and included in the /rom image flashed to router.
     3. Modules and not included in the /rom image, but which will
        require a jffs to ipkg install them onto after flashing.

b.