Hi All,

    Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Some VERY good points. It
IS a VERY small space.

    On the other hand:

    With some attention being now given to what REALLY needs to happen on
boot, I think Linux's REAL minimum requirements is a VERY good question to
ask AND ANSWER! Plus it will make the boot process MUCH faster.

    From what I can see looking at a compiled and linked kernel image
there is a LOT of stuff that really doesn't not need to be done or could
be done MUCH later (when and if drivers are loaded for example).

    So some clarity and transparency and MINIMALIZATION of the whole
getting linux started process seems to me to be a good thing for all of us
to give attention to ( in our copious spare time !! )  :).

    FWIW That is what I have been looking at.

    I have still to figure out the whole process of getting some of my
stuff into the working tree. OpenWRT is a brilliant piece of code !!

    So I still have things to learn !!

    I am very much looking forward to anyone's further comments and
suggestions.

    warm regards to all,
    John