its definatley possible to do 12-14km links with the internal antennas as
ive done so with them using OpenWRT and no external antennas connected
but i do agree setting external or internal is a bit confusing, i read here
that setting both to 0 uses the external antenna, though nobody specifies
setting what to 0
goipctl set 7 makes gpio 7, gpioctl clear 7 sets it low

i think with the code changes being pushed someone should actually help
people decipher what the proper setting for internal or external antennas
are as ive got a few radios with external high gain antennas, and i still
struggle to validate with signal which antennas is actually the active one,
or if the external antennas are actually being utilized, or not. the signal
strength seems to not be any different which i find quite odd. so i ask is
there a definitive doc for NS2 configuration internal / external

ive read so much out there its hard to differentiate whats correct and whats
not.

right now i belive internal should be

config wifi-device      wifi0
        option type     atheros
        option channel  11
        option mode     11g
#       option distance   200
        option antenna  auto # (auto|horizontal|vertical|external)
#       option disabled  0

config led
        option name     wlan
        option sysfs    wlan
        option default  1

as external should be

config wifi-device      wifi0
        option type     atheros
        option channel  11
        option mode     11g
#       option distance   200
        option antenna  external # (auto|horizontal|vertical|external)
#       option disabled  0

and

config led
        option name    wlan
        option sysfs    wlan
        option default  0

now is this correct or am i missing something