On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 15:06 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> What do the rest of you think, of making the /lib move for a)
> >> functions.sh and b) preinit?
> > Sounds like a good idea to me. Might as well move /etc/init.d and
> > rc.common while we're at it - but not without compatibility symlinks,
> > both for users and for applications that rely on the old layout.
>
> Not sure I agree for /etc/init.d.  I see why you'd want that, but
> there's a long tradition behind it and most GNU/Linux distributions
> still use /etc/init.d as well.  And it's fairly normal for a user to add
> scripts in there as part of the local customizations.

If you store the scripts under /lib/init.d, but keep symlinks
in /etc/init.d, and keep the scripts running from /etc/init.d, as is
current, that should take care of it (presumably tar or whatever will
save the symlink not the contents of the file at the end of the symlink,
so when the init.d files change the changes are present for the system
boot).

Or am I missing something?

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore