On 5/11/2010 11:27 AM, edgar.sol...@web.de wrote:
> On 11.05.2010 17:25, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> but wouldn't the increase in the kernel image actually equal the
>>> decrease in the squash image and therefore the size of the rootfs_data
>>> stay the same? Both are lzma compressed.
>>
>> I expect that a kernel with some modules built-in will be smaller
>> (both in terms of flash space and in terms of RAM use) than the same
>> kernel plus the same modules compiled as modules.
>> Whether the difference is significant or negligible, I don't know.
>>

> why do you think so? .. especially the ram usage part. ede

Less file system overhead on the flash side and no memory used to manage
the structures needed to insmod / rmmod.  Regardless, I would guess that
the overhead is quite minimal.

I believe some of the cheap n ath9k routers have their mtd partitions
set up with a fixed space for the kernel, and would benefit from having
their required modules in that partition.

Mark